Friday, July 20, 2007

You're not made out of sugar, You won't melt

Time is 2:38 AM. The ping, ping, pong, the sound of something hitting metal outside my bedroom window, wakes me up from a deep sleep.

My first thought is, "what is that noise?" It's not even a real thought. It's more the sensation of fumbling around in the dark, trying to bring thoughts to the front of my brain. Then I realize that I've heard that sound before. It is the sound of raindrops hitting the air-conditioner. It finally dawns on me that it is raining outside.

Quickly, I bring myself back from the warm arms of Hypnos, the Greek god of sleep. Scattering the petals of opium off my head, I remember that I left the car windows open. Throwing on a shirt and shorts, I walk out of the bedroom and pick up the car keys. Unlocking the front door, I step onto the front porch to be greeted by a heavy downpour. It didn't sound like a heavy rain storm.

I run up the steps to the rain soaked street and opening the locks, get into the car. Inserting the keys into the ignition, I roll up the windows. I can see that the papers on the front seat are wet so I move them into the back seat so that they will dry by morning. Getting out of the car, I run back to the front door of our house.

I am soaking wet. The rain has wetted me through to the skin. Walking into the house, I speak to my husband. "At least I'm not made out of sugar, I won't melt." A little rain never hurt anyone. The wet rain makes me feel as if everything is washed clean inside and out. When you have the chance, take a walk in the rain. I'm sure you're not made out of sugar, You won't melt either.

3 comments:

Mary said...

I'm glad you didn't melt. I just hate the smell of rain in my car the next day. Yuck! Hope it dries and airs out quickly.

B. Fred said...

I have to agree with that comment. It does smell while drying out. Fortunately, It had been raining for only a short while so the car wasn't totally soaked.

Rayne said...

I grew up on a small, family farm, and we had lots of chickens. Also, lots of opportunities to be sent out into the rain to do things and my mother used to say, "You're not made out of sugar. You won't melt." It used to rankle that she would say this over and over and think it was funny every time. One day, I had entered the mouth teen stage of my life, I shot back, "You're not made of sugar, either, and I don't see you running out there."
Wasn't one of my best moves.