Sunday, May 18, 2008

And The Tree Came Down

My husband and I were laying down in the bedroom talking about this and that when we heard a loud crashing sound. This had us a little concerned because the last time we heard such a sound we found our neighbor's pickup truck in our front yard. We checked the front window and were relieved to see that no one was there.

We left the bedroom, hurrying to the windows, we looked out. It was dark and windy. I checked the living room window while my husband checked the kitchen. That's where we found that the tree had fallen down.

The steps that lead down to our back yard has a tree right next to it. Really, it was two trees. One of them is alive and doing fine. The other was dead and rotting. I say dead because this is the tree that had fallen down.

The dead tree had fallen on the neighbor's fence. All I have to say is thank goodness the wind was blowing into the east. It didn't land on the house.

We had the tree cleared out the very next day. Yep, that was some fast acting response. Now there is a hole next to the step. There are also a bunch of paving stones.

Who knew that there was an actual walkway under all the dirt and grass that had grown over the stones. Since all this has happened I've added dirt (to the hole), day lilies and repaved the "landing" at the top of the steps. I'm actually glad the tree fell down because I've been worrying about it for a long time. I guess that's looking at the bright side of life. Oh yeah, and there is more sun shining into my "very" shaded yard.

No comments: