Sunday, September 2, 2007

The Poor Deer

As I was coming home from work the other day I saw something that was pretty gruesome. As I was driving around the curve near the pool I saw a SUV hit a deer. It was one of two that were trying to cross the road. They were bucks and had a nice 5 point rack.

I've seen deer hit before and either they get up right away or they don't. What happened this evening caused my heart to hurt. As it was hit, it's hind quarters fell into one of those big storm drains at the side of a street. I watched as it struggled to pull itself out of this hole. It almost got out and then slipped back in.

As soon as I got home I called the police. I couldn't ignore it. I didn't call 911, I actually looked up the police dispatch number. Once I got to the dispatch I found out that the police were on the scene.

As much as I feel for the animal, I'm glad to find that there were other people that were concerned and I wasn't the first person to call. I'm glad to find that there are other people concerned about a situation like this.

I'm fairly sure that they had to put the animal down, which is sad, but it is better than the pain that the poor deer would have suffered. So, everyone as you are driving through wooded areas during dusk, please watch out for crossing traffic.

1 comment:

Mary said...

Ewww. Sounds messy and gory. I hit a deer with my car once. I wouldn't wish that experience on anyone! But at least the deer I hit didn't suffer, it died quickly. Very quickly. Since then I've only hit fowl, frogs and rabbits. At least you can't see their sad little eyes when you smuck the small animals. Some of them are suicidal too. Psychos come in every species.

Looking forward to a happy post from you soon!