Friday, March 7, 2008

My Mr. Moon

It was just after the full moon. As we were driving I pointed to this magnificent orb glowing in the night sky. Shawna says "unh huh" totally lacking any enthusiasm. Shawna rolls her eye at me and comments, "Mom, you and I enjoy totally different things."

This reminded me of a car ride when I was a child.
As my mother and I were traveling from Huron to our current home on a farm in Wessington, I watched the full moon gliding through the dark night sky. It seemed to follow our every movement. When I asked my mother why was he following us. She replied, that "your Mr. Moon is following us home." From that point on he was always "My Mister Moon". Whenever I saw the moon I would point at it and say "There's My Mr. Moon."

I shared this story with my daughter as we were driving home the other night. It was the first time that I had ever shared that particular story. She was smiling and laughing at it. Here's hoping she understands the magic that My Mr. Moon stands for. The magic of youth, mystery, secrets, hope and home (just to name a few). If you've smiled at my story, I'll share "My Mr. Moon" with you too. Or, should I say, My Mrs. Moon?

No comments: