Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Peanut Butter, gotta love it?

Peanut Butter the staple of many a child's afternoon lunch. Creamy and Crunchy they taste great. I have made so many peanut butter cookies that I couldn't guess how many I've baked in my life-time. I used to make double batches of peanut butter cookies as snacks while I was going to college. I'd go home for the weekend and bake dozens of cookies and then take them back to college in order to treat my friends.

Now I smell peanut butter and I cringe. My favorite afternoon snack of peanut butter dipped carrots are on the list of NO-NO's. There is a little known fact that when you have children your metabolism changes. At least it wasn't known to me. With my first child I developed a sensitivity to peanut butter. With my second child I developed a full blown allergic reaction. Thank goodness, at this point it is not life threatening, which it can be for many people that are allergic to peanuts. It just feels like I'm having a heart attack.

Thank goodness that my daughter is not allergic to peanut butter or her life style as a vegetarian would be much more difficult. Although, I will confess, I'm jealous. I'd love to have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, peanut butter cookies, or a Butterfinger candy bar. I guess there are some pleasures that we have to give up for our children but who knew it would be such a basic one. As I write this I am smelling the intoxicating scent of peanut butter cookies. Who knew that it would be my daughter's favorite cookie, kind of ironic.

I have to include the family favorite cookie recipe for those people who would like to make a batch.

Peanut Butter Cookies From The Michael Family Kitchen:
This is the peanut butter cookie recipe we used as kids in my Mom's kitchen. We still use it because it is so good.

Ingredients:
1 Cup shortening
1 Cup granulated sugar
1 Cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 Cup peanut butter
3 Cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Instructions:
Thoroughly cream shortening, sugars, eggs, and vanilla.
Stir in peanut butter.
Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl; stir flour mixture into creamed mixture.
Drop by rounded teaspoons onto un-greased cookie sheet.
Press with back of fork to make a crisscross (coat fork with granulated sugar to prevent
sticking).
Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) about 10 minutes.
Makes about 5 dozen cookies.

Notes:
For richer cookies, use 2 cups flour.

2 comments:

Rayne said...

I can't do peanut butter any more either. The Crohn's hates it and I so miss good old PB&J sandwiches. I am so jealous, too, when I see one of them sitting down with a glorious peanut butter treat and they always look so happy about it.

Anonymous said...

Maybe so.....but chocolate chip cookies are still better!!!! :):)